Chatteris: 01354 692607 | Dereham: 01362 692182 | Downham Market: 01366 321431 | Ely: 01353 662203

Heacham: 01485 571366 | King's Lynn: 01553 660033 | Swaffham: 01760 721992

Watton: 01953 880800

What's New? > News & Press Releases > Employers must protect their workers


Sep 12

Employers must protect their workers

Employers have a duty to protect their employees and to tell them about health and safety issues that may be pertinent to them.

Employers also have a legal obligation to report certain accidents and incidents and to pay an employee sick pay if they are entitled to it.

Ward Gethin Archer has a longstanding history of specialising in personal injury and employment law issues and can advise you in relation to these aspects of the law.

If you have been injured in an accident at work and think your employer is at fault, you may wish to make a claim for compensation.

It is exceedingly important that any claim be made within three years of the date of the accident, as any claims made after this time may not be able to proceed as they may be deemed to be outside what is called the limitation period.

It is always wise to seek advice at the earliest opportunity in any event, whilst recollections of events remain fresh. People are often worried about bringing a claim against their employer. They are concerned that, firstly, their employer would not be able to meet any agreed settlement or court order for compensation and, secondly, that their employer may be disgruntled and bear a grudge against them.

By law, your employer must be insured to cover a successful claim and this should be evidenced by a certificate on display in the workplace with the name of the employer’s insurance company.

In addition, it would be judged to be unfair if your employer were to treat you differently because you had decided to make a claim.

Employers are also under a duty to report certain accidents to the Health and Safety Executive. Injuries to employees that must be reported include amputations, blindings, broken arms, legs or ribs, and where a person has become unconscious, needed resuscitation or was admitted to hospital for more than 24 hours.

An injury that stops an employee from carrying out their work for more than seven days must also be reported.

If you do suffer an injury during the course of employment, you should make sure that it is recorded in your employer’s Accident Book and, if need be, make sure that your employer has reported the accident to the Health and Safety Executive.

If, unfortunately, you have sustained injuries whilst at work and believe that your employer may be at fault, please contact Ward Gethin Archer on 01353 662203 or via our website at

This article aims to supply general information, but it is not intended to constitute advice. Every effort is made to ensure that the law referred to is correct at the date of publication and to avoid any statement which may mislead. However, no duty of care is assumed to any person and no liability is accepted for any omission or inaccuracy. Always seek our specific advice.